I have talked before about my husband. I love him. We are absolutely the right people for each other. I have also talked about being married young. You see articles that read: 23 Things To Do Instead Of Getting Engaged At 23 which would be fine if it was offering fantastic ideas or life advice to inspire you if that is not the track you are on. Instead those articles seem to trend to: how can you know yourself, it is a mistake, be you and don't get married. That sucks.
At 23 you are an adult. Grab responsibility and be your own person regardless of marital status. In honor of turning 26 this week, I wanted to look back. There are many things that I feel you need to do before 25:
1. Know how to look after yourself. Keep your home and self clean. You would be surprised how many people don't have a concept of this...so sad.
2. Learn to be financially savvy. This may not necessarily mean financial independence, but it is important to know how to pay bills, live to a budget and understand how a bank account works.
3. On that note, start investing in your retirement. It is an investment in you.
4. Learn to cook from scratch. Good for the health, good for the bank balance.
5. Take the time to tell your parents how much you appreciate them and tell them how much they mean to you.
6. Know your alcohol limit. It doesn’t stop you from staying out until 2:00am, it just means you can do so without blacking out.
7. Get a work out regimen going. Be healthy.
8. Sometimes, take the time to do absolutely nothing but indulge yourself. Rest, relax, have a long hot bath, read a book, sleep all day.
9. If you can, travel as much as possible with people you love. It doesn’t have to be abroad – explore your home country. Road trip, anyone?
10. Give your time to a charitable cause.
11. Go out in fancy dress.
12. Learn at least the basic elements of a foreign language.
13. See your favorite singer/band in concert.
14. Forgive (doesn’t mean you have to forget) and move on.
15. Spend 24 hours without any media – no internet, TV, phone or consoles.
16. Learn to say no, to yourself and to others.
17. Get rid of that friend who makes your time together a chore. Best thing I ever did.
18. Take pictures. Lots of pictures.
19. Take a dive, start something new.
20. Understand that if you really want something, you’re going to have to start working for it, or be really good at asking for it.
21. Splurge on something that you’ve always wanted.